Tuesday 1 January 2013

Moving Forwards, Looking Back

Moving Forwards, Looking Back

It's... been a year. A lot of things have happened, and I dare say I've learnt a few lessons. I'm sure I'll have to relearn them though, I never keep track of things like that. Life has been busy in almost every way – I even had my first hospital stay since I was eight with an emergency Christmas appendicectomy. Good old NHS.

But onto things that people care about. Last year I churned out a fair bit of kit: 226 2mm strips, 134 6mm infantry and 8 vehicles, 610 15mm infantry and 10 vehicles, 93 28mm models and one vehicle, 30 1/3000 ships and approximately a shedload of terrain, flats and game aids.

Going forward, I'm going to count a 15mm infantryman as a standard “one model”, and count other scales as fractions or multiples of the same. 2mm will count as a quarter, 6mm will count half and 28mm will count as two or three, just for relative effort. Cavalry count double for everything but 2mm.

Therefore, the number to beat this year will be 1099 models, 17 vehicles, and as much terrain as possible!

Luckily, I finished my first 121 infantry today, a Flames of War company of US Rangers (pictures on a brighter day, hopefully in action). 10% done already! There's quite a queue waiting for me too, including some relatively simple Warriors of Gondor – although the conversions I intend to do to make them Osgiliath Veterans will claim a lot of that time back.

I've played a lot of games this year, in a lot of different systems. I've joined the monsters that are SAGA, Flames of War and 40k and consolidated my collection of Too Fat Lardies games. I have a whole box on my shelf dedicated to decks for their various games.

In any case, thanks for reading to all of you – I've had well over 10,000 hits this year, and I hope to get into a more stable posting pattern in the next twelve months. Quick question for anyone who cares – do you want to see terrain making and painting posts on here too, or should I stick to the battle reports?

Yours,
The A-Historian

Happy Holidays!

6 comments:

  1. Happy New Year and happy painting in 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too! Are you based in the UK? I have a copy of Cold War Commander I'd be happy to sell you if you're still looking.

      Delete
  2. A very happy 2013 to you. Hope you have fully recovered from your stay in hospital, it sounds like you have a strenuous year of painting ahead of you. In answer to your last question, I would be delighted to see all of the above, figs, batreps, terrain, how-to posts. Whatever you wish to put up, sir.
    Cheers,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your wish is my command! Not really "recovered", but I'm not gasping in pain every other second so I'm taking it as a win. In fact, it was a padre named John who got me through the whole thing in one piece. Happy New Year sah!

      Delete
  3. Happy new year! I wouldn't mind seeing painting pics too, the more the merrier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then so it shall be! Happy New Year to you too =]

      Delete